Archive for April, 2013


Am I Nuts?

With U of T’s rejection firmly in hand, I’ve had to think long and hard about what my #2 choice is. And crazy as it sounds, I think I’m leaning towards a return to Queen’s.

I sort of realized this during a conversation with my girlfriend where I quickly listed the positives and negatives associated with Queen’s, Western, and Osgoode. And I didn’t realize it at the time, but thinking back the only negative thing I had to say about Queen’s is that things didn’t go well the first time. But I said I loved the city of Kingston, I liked the school itself, there were plenty of opportunities for extra-curriculars (I could fence again!) and I liked the program at Queen’s – it’s got a really good ADR (mediation) program, which is the area of law I’d like to get into.

Two years ago I’d have called you nuts if you told me I’d be considering going back to Queen’s, but here I am.

Of course, this is just what I’m thinking at the moment. My thought process could very easily change. I haven’t even visited Durham or Western yet (or Ottawa, for that matter), and so I don’t want to make any final decisions until I do that.

And of course, there is the fact that I don’t actually have an offer from Queen’s yet, and I’m far from guaranteed to hear positive news from them. For that reason I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself, lest I be disappointed.

Advertisements

Good News Out Of Canada

Guess my home country wants me to stay after all.

Unknown

Waitlisted

Rejected

Accepted

Queen’s University  University of Windsor McGill University University of Leicester
Western University London School of Economics  Queen Mary
Osgoode Hall University College London  Durham University
University of Toronto  University of Ottawa

The catch is, Ottawa wants to hear back from me by April 11th – less than a week from today. This leaves me with three options:

If I accept Ottawa, all of the other Ontario schools will see that acceptance and close my file. Not ideal.

If I reject Ottawa, I’m gambling on being accepted by one of the remaining three Ontario schools. I’ve got Durham’s acceptance in the bag, but still. Not ideal.

The third option is to provisionally accept Ottawa. If I do this I can still receive offers from other schools, and I’d delay having to make a final decision until June. Win-win. The drawback is that this option costs $500. But I don’t feel like I have much of a choice here. Hopefully the remaining three schools get back to me one way or the other very soon.

Marching Orders

Well, my marching orders have arrived. I’m to leave the University of Toronto on April 24th.

Unknown

Waitlisted

Rejected

Accepted

Queen’s University  University of Windsor McGill University University of Leicester
Western University London School of Economics Queen Mary
Osgoode Hall University College London Durham University
University of Ottawa University of Toronto

It’s not unexpected, but it’s still a little frustrating. Ironically, the main reason I didn’t get in to U of T is U of T itself. The fact is that this school is much more difficult than, say, Queen’s, and it’s much harder to achieve a pristine GPA here than it was at Queen’s, I know this firsthand. Ironically, had I stayed at Queen’s three years ago I would have stood a much better than at getting into U of T now.

But c’est la vie.